Health Updates



Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information

Updated: April 26, 2020

Camp Carl & Chapel Families,

It is with a heavy heart I must inform you that myself, along with the Executive Leadership of The Chapel, have made the difficult decision to cancel all 2020 Summer Camp plans, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.  We have always had a strong commitment to the health and safety of our campers, staff, and volunteers. Due to the unknown future of large group gatherings, and our concern regarding the risk management measures that would need to be in place to hold summer camp, we do not see another path forward this year. However, we are eager to see you again in Summer 2021!

We know our camper families will grieve this decision, as they will not be returning to a place they love this year, a place that many call their “summer home”. It is devastating to imagine our property sitting empty this summer. However, after consulting with public health officials, our medical personnel, and other Christian Camp leaders, we believe this to be the wisest decision for everyone involved.

Instead of choosing fear, anxiety, or worry, we are encouraging our Camp Carl and Chapel families to stand firm on the spiritual foundations that we know to be true: God is Sovereign. God is good. God wants what is best for us…and He can be trusted!

In an effort to ease the burden on already stressed families, we will be offering full refunds, including the deposit. Please visit our REFUND PAGE for information on how to begin the process for your refund.

Broken with you,

Tom Sullivan

Play Video

Previous Announcements

Updated: April 20, 2020

We continue to closely monitor critical guidelines and mandates from the following groups as we come closer to making a decision for opening Camp Carl this summer:

  • The President and the Federal Government
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • Ohio’s Governor and State Officials
  • The State of Ohio’s Health Department
  • Portage County’s Health Department
  • Medical Advisor, Dr. Emily Scott – Akron Children’s Hospital
  • The Executive Leadership Team from The Chapel


The following two conditions will anchor our summer camp decision-making, based on state and local guidelines:

  1. There are no bans on large group gatherings that would limit our ability to hold camp.
  2. Medical experts determine that there are no heightened health risks for kids and staff.

These conditions must be true for summer camp to proceed. Our highest priority remains to care for the health and safety of all involved with Camp Carl and that we abide our local and state governing authorities. 

Originally, we landed on 4/20 as a decision date for whether to delay camp and 5/15 as a date to decide if cancelling summer camp was necessary.  Given the recent guidelines from our federal government and the anticipated mandates we will be given from our governor this week, we have changed our final decision date on opening summer camp to next Monday, 4/27.  

Thanks for your patience as new and changing information continues to arrive.  Continue to pray with us. 

Tom Sullivan

Updated: April 13, 2020

Camp Carl, as a ministry of The Chapel, wants to assure our families that camper and staff safety remain our top priority. We continue to closely monitor the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, updated guidance and mandates from the State of Ohio Governor and our state and local health officials to stay current on the latest information on how to mitigate and manage COVID-19.

With the help of our volunteer Medical Director, Dr. Emily Scott from Akron Children’s Hospital and the Portage County Health Department, we will continue to look at the progress in testing and treating COVID-19 and are performing ongoing reviews of our processes and procedures to ensure the safety of campers and staff.

Camp Carl understands that in these uncertain times, we all want to know something certain in this situation, and would prefer to have a decision made now about if your week of camp is happening. Honestly, so would we. But we also want to be careful not to make an uneducated and premature decision. Because events are changing daily, we want to use the most recent information available to make the best decision to ensure both the health and safety of our campers and have the best chance at ministering to them this summer. If we look at our lives just 2-3 weeks ago, and then where we are now, who would have never guessed how drastic the changes would be? The same applies to where we could be in just another four weeks, even after an anticipated spike in mid-April. We will know so much more.

We want to assure you that we will manage in a biblical, ethical, and socially responsible manner throughout this crisis. Please know that if at any point in time it is deemed not safe or appropriate to have summer camp, we will modify our planning and give you at least 30 days’ notice. When the time comes, the following two statements will anchor our summer camp decision-making, based on state and local guidelines:

  1. There are no bans on large group gatherings that would limit our ability to hold camp.
  2. Medical experts determine that there are no heightened health risks for kids and staff.

These statements must be true for summer camp to proceed. Our highest priority remains to care for the health and safety of all involved with Camp Carl.

We still plan to make a decision by Monday, April 20th if we need to delay camp.  We also plan to make a “Go, No Go” decision for the entire summer camp on 5/15. These decision dates for delaying or cancelling are necessary because of the scale of ramp-up and preparations for running camp in light of the COVID-19 virus and the thorough training our summer staff.  

Know that we are praying for you and we so appreciate your flexibility during these times. Join us as Camp Carl continues to bathe this situation in prayer.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” — Philippians 4:6-7

Tom Sullivan

Updated: March 25, 2020

Dear Camp Carl Community,

I know you’ve likely received numerous announcements from many organizations by now, each one updating you on what they are doing in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Circumstances are changing daily, even hourly. I know that you might have kids at home for the foreseeable future (weeks or maybe months) and that it can feel unsettling not knowing what might happen next during this unprecedented time. I know you might be working remotely today, homeschooling, or just trying to figure out groceries, daycare, or virtual relationships. Whatever your situation may be, please know that we have been in prayer for you and your family and will continue to pray God‘s peace, grace, and protection over the days, weeks, and months ahead.

At Camp Carl, we will continue to move forward. We are planning for summer and preparing to serve and love campers and our summer staff. Like all of us, we are learning how to do everything a little bit differently. We know that after the spring of quarantines and physical distancing, we might all be craving a summer camp experience – something outside, something fun, something exciting, something life changing. We are still working to be ready when that moment comes. However, to help all of you with summer planning, we will make a decision on April 20th about if we will delay summer camp by 3 weeks. We will also make May 15th our decision date for whether summer camp will continue for 2020 or be cancelled entirely.

Our number one goal is to love campers in a safe environment where they can encounter Jesus Christ, and every decision we make is based on that priority. Camp Carl and The Chapel are also committed to being good citizens who take cues from our government officials and the CDC concerning group gatherings, cleaning/sanitation protocol, and social distancing measures. We too have a desire to be a part of the solution to slowing the spread of this virus. Finally, we will continue to be flexible and adapt as the situation evolves and keep you informed on any changes on this webpage.

The Camp Carl staff, as part of the larger Chapel Staff and Leadership, and The Chapel Trustee Board continue to rest in one reality: There isn’t a single thing that has happened or will happen in the world that is beyond God’s knowledge, His sovereign authority and control, or ultimately His eternal purposes for his people. We believe and have confidence in Him and His Son, Jesus, and will continue to do all we can to share this faith, hope, and peace with campers, families, volunteers, and our community.

For the kids and God’s Kingdom!

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. —2 Corinthians 12:9

Tom Sullivan

8054 Calvin RoadRavenna, OH 44266